Ask us a question
Tooth whitening is an effective treatment to lighten the colour of the teeth. The shade of a person's teeth can vary according to factors such as genetics, lifestyle habits and age. The natural whiteness of teeth gradually fades and the teeth may start to look yellow. Surface stains can also cause discolouration of the teeth, which will need to be cleaned thoroughly before teeth whitening treatment.
We are proud to provide two highly effective whitening systems to improve the colour of patients' teeth, including a tray system and the world-famous Enlighten treatment. We will be happy to discuss these different treatment options with you during a consultation.Read more
Suitability for Tooth Whitening
Tooth whitening is an effective procedure but it is not suitable for everyone. We will determine if you are a suitable candidate based on the information you provide and a thorough examination of your mouth. If you are not a suitable candidate we are happy to discuss alternative treatments. Tooth whitening does not affect the tooth's structure as veneers do.
Tooth Whitening treatments
Whitening agents, usually in gel form, are used to whiten the teeth and will typically include carbamide or hydrogen peroxide. We never use products that contain chlorine dioxide because they strip the teeth and increase the risk of staining.
Impressions of your teeth are created and used as moulds for whitening trays. The trays contain whitening agent and are usually worn during the night so that treatment does not interfere with your daily routine. Over the course of time the teeth become gradually whiter, but the results will generally depend on the type of whitening agent, the timescale of treatment and the original shade of the teeth.
Enlighten Evolution 3
This is the world's leading whitening treatment and the only system guaranteed to achieve VITA shade B1 in every case. Enlighten Evolution 3 provides incredible results without any tooth sensitivity or dehydration. The system is fully integrated and includes impression materials, home whitening agents, desensitisers and tooth serum. Key features of the system include:
- B1 shade guaranteed
- No sensitivity
- Fully integrated system
- Lowest concentration whitening agent
- No need for lights or gingival protection
- Free tooth serum
Is Tooth Whitening safe?
Tooth whitening is one of the safest, most effective cosmetic dental treatments. However, there are risks that need to be considered:
- Slower treatment time: there is a possibility that treatment will not work as fast as first thought. Your dentist will explain the reasons why this may be the case.
- Different shades: there is a chance that not all the teeth will achieve the same whitening results, especially if you have one or more darker teeth.
- Uneven tooth shade: it is possible for teeth to be unevenly coloured, but this is normally the case when the tooth root is exposed and the colour tends to be darker in this area.
- Sensitivity: it is possible for tooth whitening to cause temporary sensitivity, but this usually wears off quickly and is uncommon following Enlighten treatment.
- Temporary gum irritation; this is rare.
- Lack of response to treatment: it is possible for some types of discolouration to remain the same after treatment. If this is the case further treatments, including crowns, veneers or white fillings, may be required. Your dentist will discuss treatment options with you.
Teeth Whitening results
Treatment times vary but it usually takes 2 weeks for the results to develop. However, tooth whitening does not produce permanent results and the teeth will become discoloured once again. The results typically last between 2 and 4 years but you can undergo top-up treatments to preserve teeth whiteness. Smoking and drinking strongly coloured drinks will accelerate the discolouration process, so to keep your beautiful new smile brighter for longer it is advisable to avoid these habits.
Advantages of Tooth Whitening
Tooth whitening treatments can enhance the appearance of your smile, making gorgeous straight smiles even more stunning. Teeth staining and discolouration can greatly age the appearance of the mouth and face, but teeth whitening can reverse this process and provide a younger, brighter smile.
Disadvantages of Tooth Whitening
Tooth whitening doesn't last forever and patients' smiles can become darker again over time. However, treatment can be topped up to keep your smile looking its best. However, this shouldn't be seen as an excuse to whiten the teeth excessively, which can lead to enamel damage.
Tooth Whitening costs
Whitening costs vary depending on the treatment you choose and the number of sessions you require. These are issues which our resident dentist will be happy to discuss with you, as well as the level of whiteness you would like to achieve. General tooth whitening costs are as follows:
- Teeth whitening: £350
- Enlighten whitening: £600